The best Chamomile tea for sleep
The best Chamomile tea for sleep
Insomnia contributes around 10-30% of the world’s population and the graph seems to be only escalating. Chamomile tea being healthy and an organic option remains the best go-to medicine for all those who want to chase sleep. The best chamomile tea for sleep has several benefits in humans apart from helping to overcome sleep related problems.
Healthy outcome can never be expected out of an unhealthy lifestyle. It’s the dedication that you pour in the mere practices that you carry every day. May it be switching to organic foods, herbal tea for sleep and anxiety, exercises on a regular basis, etc.
However, when harm is done, only Ayurveda can serve you the required benefits with the least side-effects possible, and Ayurveda aims to penetrate deeper beyond the sensory perceptions to yield answers for the questions, not still known in the fields of medicine and life.
Insomnia is a common disorder that induces a person to sleep less, or with a lot of interrupted intervals, or no sleep at all. Many treatments have been on records for its cure, but Chamomile tea still remains the show-stealer.
For years now, chamomile tea has been used as a natural and trustworthy remedy for sleep. It however serves for many other purposes too. The best Chamomile tea for sleep does have it’s additional and appropriate benefits.
Facts refer to this magical Chamomile tea also as a mild tranquilizer or sleep inducer, which is a recommended option for anxiety due to its noticeable calming effects.
The calming effects caused by the tea can significantly be because of the presence of an antioxidant called Apigenin, which is a plant-derived flavonoid.
With its many properties, Apigenin is also known for its soothing qualities as a sedative, mild analgesic and sleep medication, and that is a major constituent of Chamomile tea. Associated studies have shown anti-convulsant and CNS depressant effects of this extract.
Case studies that prove the diversified uses of Chamomile Tea:
A case study conducted in a nursing home suggested that intake of the Chamomile extract resulted in better sleep quality when compared to those who didn’t receive any .
In another case where ten cardiac patients were made to drink Chamomile tea, they immediately fell into a deep sleep that lasted for almost ninety minutes .
Also during a study, it was found that inhalation of the vapor of chamomile oil showed a remarkable effect on the stress levels of patients and also exhibited induced levels in plasma adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) .
Another study published in the Journal of Advanced Nursing in 2015, where women (Mothers of the newly born) with poor sleep were examined, and few of them were made to drink chamomile tea on regular basis and the results were that those who consumed tea had fewer symptoms of inadequate sleep when compared to those who didn’t .
When the Chamomile extracts were used on rats, it helped a lot of sleep-deprived rats with their sleep . And the results were comforting beyond expectations. These reports definitely strengthen the fact that best chamomile tea for sleep will be taking over many other traditional and advanced methods.
Dive deep, know more about Chamomile:
While adhering to facts that Chamomile tea is the best option to revive sleep in those who suffer sleeplessness let’s dive in some facts to understand this magic herb better.
Chamomile is a herb, history of using of it dates back to ages. It is a flowering herb that comes from the Asteraceae plant family—when fresh, it looks almost like a small daisy flower. Egyptians used this very herb to treat a number of issues. However today, Chamomile tea is widely used for sleep. And it is one such herb which is easily accessible. Once consumed, the apigenin goes to work.
The best remarkably part about it is that it does not contain caffeine. Therefore it is also attributed as one of the safest options to help one sleep as Chamomile tea acquires relatively better positions in doing so. Also, it is cholesterol-free which makes it more reliable than most of the options available.
Chamomile also tends to exhibit various other effects too. For instance, the extracts of Chamomile manifest benzodiazepine-like hypnotic activity. It also has a very soothing effect. Apigenin is a chemical that is believed to be able to bind itself to specific receptors in one’s brain that may decrease anxiety and initiate sleep which proves out to create an effective option to be consumed in the simplest form of tea. That is why best Chamomile tea for sleep is very natural and effective.
The best Chamomile tea for sleep is a widely accepted and recommended solution, however, this herbal tea also nails at many other conditions other than sleeplessness. A few are listed below,
- Depression: Need of the hour seems to be fighting with the demon pandemic coronavirus alongside the increasing cases of depression caused due to the various problems created by the virus itself. A cup of Chamomile tea every night is the game-changer. Insomnia is an inseparable part of depression and this magic drink can help cure both.
- Skin irritation: Chamomile tea holds greater importance in the history of Greeks and Roman too. They used it as a medium to heal. Many skin problems also have been believed to be cured with the use of Chamomile tea. From simpler cuts and wound to severe skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema are also cured with the help of Chamomile tea.
- Stress and anxiety: The competitive world leaves no stone unturned to put us through the toughest of days, and finding even a little peace becomes almost impossible. Stress and anxiety are what we then end up with, Chamomile tea is a great stress Buster, gentle relaxant that acts as an effective natural sedative, thereby reducing stress.
- Anti-inflammatory: Condition, where the skin turns red, swollen due to some external causes like injection or an injury, is inflammation and can be treated using Chamomile tea. The tea consists of chemicals that tend to reduce inflammation.
- Helps in Treating Cold: Cold and other related conditions can be cured by the intake of Chamomile tea. Inhaling Chamomile tea in form of steam can also do wonders and help you cure many related conditions like nasal congestion, a runny nose, and sore throat too.
- Cancer Prevention/Cancer treatment: With so many known and unknown facts about Chamomile tea one of the most prominent and debatable is its use in treating and preventing cancer. With its unique properties, Chamomile tea is believed to be able to target cancerous cells and even stop the multiplication of them altogether. However, the property of Chamomile tea with this regards is still in debate.
- Digestion: Chamomile has antispasmodic properties. This is why it is believed to be able to cure spasms within the body and help in digestion too. The presence of a bitter component called cesquiterpene in Chamomile triggers the pancreas to produce more digestive enzymes that help in the breaking of foods.
Rheumatic Pain, Antioxidant properties, Ulcers, Hemorrhoids, etc are few of the many possible uses of this magic drink. However, Chamomile tea is the best herbal tea used to cure insomnia in particular with innumerable other uses too that are not still scientifically proven.
Transformation of this magic herb to the Best Chamomile tea:
The process followed can be referred to as a traditional one. Conversion of this herb into tea is done by infusing the dried flowers of the chamomile plant in hot water.
A simpler way would be just by buying the tea bags that are available in the market. You can then follow the steps similar to making any regular tea using infusers or tea bags. Make sure to dip the infuser in the hot water for at least 3-4 mins, the steep time can be increased for richer effect however, never make it too long, the time should not exceed the mark of 10 minutes. (Additional tip: any natural flavoring agent like lemon can be used)
The best time to drink this chamomile tea is about 30-45 minutes before bed. So that it induces in your body and sends the sleep signals across your brain and you get a fulfilling experience.
Traditionally we have been consuming warm liquids before sleep because they give us a soothing effect. They tend to relax our body and mind and prepare it for an enriching experience of effortless sleep. There are many other reasons why warm liquids are widely suggested.
Scientifically they also act as cleansing agents (Best Detox Tea) and aid digestion. Where too much is said about warm liquids, Chamomile still remains the most recommended natural sleep aid. It is the mind you need to convince, while the rest automatically follows, and Chamomile tea targets the exact.
So you are just a click away from getting rid of those sleepless nights. A click away from achieving a soothing experience with no stress. Just a click away to fight so many problems related to your body without any efforts, a habit away for letting Chamomile tea imbibe its goodness in your life.
The chamomile tea was found to be mild tranquilizer. Tranquilizers are those substances that induce sleep. The calming effects of chamomile is because of its main active component “Apigenin”. This compound acts as sleep inducer and Antioxidant. It is abundantly present in Chamomile and acts as anxiety reducer and sleep inducer by binding to specific brain receptors. This makes the chamomile a best herbal tea for sleep and anxiety .
The top brands of the chamomile in Amazon can be found here
- The US Wellness Naturals sells tea flowers of chamomile. This has 4.6 rating out of 5 from nearly 5000 customers
- Celestial seasonings which has 4.8 ratings out of 5 from around 600 plus buyers and is one of the best tea that makes you sleep
- Twinings of London Pure Camomile Tea K-Cups for Keurig, this brand has 4.6 out of 5 rating from 500 plus buyers for the best herbal tea for sleep.
- Organic Chamomile Tea with Whole Dried Flowers from The tea brand company is an another best chamomile tea for sleep and anxiety
- The Bigelow Tea Store sells another best chamomile tea for sleep and anxiety. This brand enjoys 4.8 rating out of 5 in Amazon.
Chamomile flowers powder is used as tea. The tea is nothing but the infusion of the parts of the plants. Chamomile flower tea is an infusion of flowers of chamomile. This tea will have the contents of the compound called Apigenin. It is commonly believed that you should drink tea atleast 30-45 minutes before bed to get good sleep. You cant expect is to do miracles and induce sleep immediately like melatonin. The time of 30-45 minutes are sufficient for the tea to get absorbed in the GIT and metabolize its compounds in the body to cause sedative effects.
There are few herbal teas you can consider drinking before bed to have good sleep.
- Chamomile tea: The chamomile tea is the one of the best herbal tea for sleep and anxiety. As discussed earlier in this article, the apigenin, an important antioxidant compound is responsible for sleep inducing effects of the chamomile.
- Lavender tea : Lavender is from the Lavendula angustifolia plant. The brewing tea is made using purple buds of this plant in hot water. This tea helps in relaxation of the body and induces sleep. The essential oil of lavender is sprayed in the bes for better aroma and get good sleep at night. This tea is especially beneficial to improve the health of the skin, calm the nerves leading to better sleep. Currently the research is more focussed on lavender extracts and essential oil. The chamomile and lavender tea for anxiety and sleep is one of the best uses of it.
- Peppermint tea: Peppermint tea is best herbal tea that makes you sleep when you combine it with chamomile tea. Peppermint gives a great sense of flavour and freshness. It also acts as carminative and removes unnecessary gas from the stomach. The gas in the stomach may be the reason for feeling of full and bloating.
- Green tea: The green tea is very popular across the world for its several health benefits. This green tea along with chamomile, lavender and peppermint can help you in calming the body and sleep well.
Chamomile and lavender tea for anxiety
When the benefits of chamomile and lavender tea are combined, the results will be astonishing. These two together help in reducing anxiety, curing insomnia, help in improving digestion, reduce depression, improve skin health and acts as powerful antioxidant. This antioxidant effect can further help in reducing the cancer risks.
Chamomile and lavender tea for anxiety and sleep can be suggested for all those who like natural support for their health problems. There are numerous scientific literature on the use of herbal tea extracts for various health benefits . However it has to be kept in mind that drinking these teas is not replacement for doctor’s prescription. One needs to consult doctors for their health support.
Te answer to this is a big yes. There are clinical studies published in reputed journals supports this claim. A clinical study published in the journal of clinical psychopharmacology reports that chamomile may have mild to modest anxiety relieving in patients suffering from generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). There were 57 patients suffering from mild GAD were participated in the study .
Another study evaluated the effect of long-term administration of chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla L.) in prevention relapse of GAD symptoms. There were 179 participants in the study. As per the reports of the study, the long term administration of chamomile was safe and significantly combated the effects of moderate to severe anxiety. However, it had non significant outcome in relapse rate .
Yes, the chamomile is safe to drink in most of the people. It rarely cause any side effects at normal dosages. However, people allergic to chamomile and similar plants, such as chrysanthemums and ragweed, must stay away from it.
The chamomile tea is found to be safe as per most of the experts. This herb may cause milder side effects in some people like drowsiness and vomiting. However these are reported with high volume consumption and large dosages. People allergic to chamomile or similar plant must not consume this tea as this may result is allergic reactions. However, such occurrences are rarely reported. Please refer webmd for more details.
1. Abdullahzadeh, M., 2017. Investigation effect of oral chamomilla on sleep quality in elderly people in Isfahan: A randomized control trial. J Educ Health Promot., 53(6).
2. Chang, S. and Chen, C., 2015. Effects of an intervention with drinking chamomile tea on sleep quality and depression in sleep disturbed postnatal women: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 72(2), pp.306-315.
3. Gould, L., Reddy, C. And Gomprecht, R., 1973. Cardiac Effects of Chamomile Tea. The Journal of Clinical Pharmacology and New Drugs, 13(11), pp.475-479.
4. Yamada, K., Miura, T., Mimaki, Y. And Sashida, Y., 1996. Effect of Inhalation of Chamomile Oil Vapour on Plasma ACTH Level in Ovariectomized-Rat Under Restriction Stress. Biological & Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 19(9), pp.1244-1246.
5. Shinomiya, K., Inoue, T., Utsu, Y., Tokunaga, S., Masuoka, T., Ohmori, A. and Kamei, C., 2005. Hypnotic Activities of Chamomile and Passiflora Extracts in Sleep-Disturbed Rats. Biological & Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 28(5), pp.808-810.
6. McKay, D. and Blumberg, J., 2006. A Review of the bioactivity and potential health benefits of chamomile tea (Matricaria recutita L.). Phytotherapy Research, 20(7), pp.519-530.
7. Poswal, F., Russell, G., Mackonochie, M., MacLennan, E., Adukwu, E. and Rolfe, V., 2019. Herbal Teas and their Health Benefits: A Scoping Review. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, 74(3), pp.266-276.
8. Amsterdam, J., Li, Y., Soeller, I., Rockwell, K., Mao, J. and Shults, J., 2009. A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial of Oral Matricaria recutita (Chamomile) Extract Therapy for Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, 29(4), pp.378-382.
9. Mao, J., Xie, S., Keefe, J., Soeller, I., Li, Q. and Amsterdam, J., 2016. Long-term chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla L.) treatment for generalized anxiety disorder: A randomized clinical trial. Phytomedicine, 23(14), pp.1735-1742.
http://www.blsciences.com/ participates in Amazon services LLC Associates program, which is an affiliates advertising program designed to provide a means for websites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com