Best Energy Supplements for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Best Energy Supplements for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in the USA
What is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), which is renamed as Systemic Exertion Intolerance Disease, is a controversial disease as it is characterised by presence of fatigue for more than six months but lacks any objective finding on clinical examination by health professionals. However the symptoms reported by patients are real and debilitating to them. They are not malingerers as the disease affects the ability of patient to engage in occupational, social, personal and educational life. The fatigue is ongoing and is not relieved with rest. Here we discuss the Best Energy Supplements for Chronic Fatigue syndrome.
The cause of CFS is unknown and the treatment of chronic fatigue is mainly supportive which includes alteration of patient’s work behaviour with counselling therapy, exercise therapy and dietary modifications. Dietary therapy is significant as large proportion of CFS patients use nutritional supplements and approximately 50% of patients report benefit with diet modification [R].
What are best energy supplements for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
Here we provide a list of supplements which are shown in clinical trials to be effective in alleviating fatigue observed in CFS along with improvement in quality of life of patients. The Best Energy Supplements for Chronic Fatigue syndrome.
Gaia Herbs-Adrenal Health
- A vegan adrenal support supplement-works best for chronic fatigue
- Combines Ashwagandha root extract with other physically and emotionally supporting adaptogen herbs to nourish the adrenals to support healthy response to stress.
- Holy Basil to support your emotional wellbeing and Rhodiola to support optimal energy and balance your circadian rhythm.
- All non-GMO certified ingredients
- One of the Best Energy Supplements for Chronic Fatigue syndrome
Adrenal Support - Cortisol Manager
- Powerful adaptogens like ashwagandha and rhodiola rosea help improve resistance to physical and mental stress by lowering cortisol levels
- Best Energy Supplements for Chronic Fatigue syndrome
- When cortisol is properly managed, symptoms of fatigue ease away and energy returns back to normal levels.
- Lethargy, grogginess, and mood swings are signs of adrenal fatigue that can be addressed by the help of adaptogenic herbs.
- Promote a sense of calm and have anti-anxiety effects.
- Coenzyme Q and nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide hydride (NADH): Studies have reported mitochondrial dysfunction in patients of CFS due to deficiency of Coenzyme Q and NADH. Mitochondria are considered as energy production unit in human cells. Coenzyme Q is also called ubiquinol and is a nutrient involved in production of energy in cells. It also has antioxidant properties. In a study when combined supplements of coenzyme Q (200mg/day) and NADH (20 mg/day) were given to CFS patients for 8 weeks, the patient reported significant reduction in their fatigue [R].
- Guanidinoacetic acid (GAA) occurs naturally in the humans and is an immediate precursor of creatine. Creatine is involved in energy dynamics of muscles in our body. Women receiving GAA supplementation (2.4 grams per day) for three months reported greater increase in muscle strength and aerobic power in a study reported by Sergej. This study showed that GAA supplements can enhance work capacity in women with CFS [R].
- High cocoa liquor/polyphenol rich chocolate (HCL/PCR): Chocolate is known to contain flavonoids which are antioxidants. The role of chocolate as cure of fatigue was first observed by Aztec Emperor Montezuma II in sixteenth century. In words of the emperor a cup of cocoa drink was “divine drink” which builds up resistance and a man can walk for full day without food. In a study reported, 8 week supplementation with HCL/PCR reported decrese in fatigue among CFS patients. This supplement also reported decrease in anxiety and depression among CFS patients [R].
- Probiotics: Alterations in micro-organisms of intestine may be a reason for CFS. In a study reported by Sullivan, when CFS patients were given probiotic supplements for four weeks they reported significant improvements in fatigue and physical activity. The patients also reported neuro-cognitive improvement with this supplement. CFS patients have impaired cognition that is alteration in their thinking which is exacerbated with exertion. This probiotic supplement contained Lactobacillus paracasei paracasei F19, Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFB 1748 and Bifidobacterium lactis Bb12 [R].
- Acetyl‐L‐carnitine and propionyl‐L‐carnitine: In a study, supplementation with 2g/day Acetyl‐L‐carnitine reduced mental fatigue and supplementation with 2g/day propionyl‐L‐carnitine reduced general fatigue in patients with CFS [R].
- BioBran MGN-3 enhances natural killer cell activity. Natural killer cells are a type of immune cells and their reduced activity may be reason for CFS. The active ingredient of BioBran MGN-3 is arabinoxylane. Supplementaion with BioBran improved the quality of life in CFS patients as reported [R].
- Multivitamin mineral supplementation: Though the cause of CFS is largely unknown but studies point out that oxidative stress plays an important role in its causation. Patients with CFS have been shown to have large number of reactive oxygen species which create an environment of stress in various cells of the human body. This stress is called oxidative stress which damages the cell structure by damaging proteins, lipids and DNA in cells. The symptoms and their severity in CFS are because of oxidative stress. Multivitamins counter this stress by improving the antioxidant status of cells. Multivitamin supplement Supradyn® (Bayer Schering Pharma) when given to thirty women with CFS for 2 months reported significant decrease in their fatigue in a study [R].
- D-Ribose: D-Ribose is a natural carbohydrate. It is a part of the structure of DNA, RNA, ATP, FADH, coenzyme-A, and NADH which are essential for mitochondria to produce energy in human cells. Supplementation with D-Ribose in dose of 5 g thrice a day to total dose of 280 g in a study done on patients with CFS resulted in significant improvement in energy levels, sleep patterns, pain scores, mental clarity and overall improvement [R].
- Omega 3 fatty acid supplements (eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)) have been shown to have a positive relation with respect to CFS symptoms alleviation. Omega3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA) are reduced in CFS while Omega 6 fatty acids (linoleic acid and arachidonic acid) are increased in amount. This imbalance in Omega 3 to Omega 6 fatty acids ratio is significantly related to severity of illness in CFS which is reflected as more aches, more fatigue and more impairment in memory among patients of CFS [R]. A fluid filled chamber is present in our brain which is called Lateral Ventricle. The fluid is called cerebrospinal fluid and is essential for the brain nourishment and function. Enlargement in lateral ventricle of brain occurs in patients of CFS. Administration with EPA to a female lead to marked reduction in volumes of lateral ventricle which reflected in marked improvements of her symptoms [R].
Dietary supplements are safe to use and have no reported side-effects. They can be used for long term use as well. Hence dietary supplements are one among the available treatment modalities for CFS. These Best Energy Supplements for Chronic Fatigue syndrome may be of help. Do share your views in the comments.
http://www.blsciences.com/ participates in Amazon services LLC Associates program, which is an affiliates advertising program designed to provide a means for websites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com